Our church has several outreach programs going on simultaneously through the year.
- Meals for the Needy – This ministry is our major outreach. We run this free food operation 4 nights per week with the help of volunteers from all over the city and surrounding towns. Anyone may come and eat free, with no conditions. We have significant support from the community and we are a designated Food Share distribution site. We often serve over 100 meals per night, Monday through Thursday. Other nights of the week are covered at an alternate site. In October Cheryl Yetke, the new Meals for the Needy Director, was hired to administer the program.
- Maritime ministry – Maritime Bethel at Savannah – This program supports the sailors in port at coastal areas delivering Free Bibles and fellowship, counseling and outreach programs. We at Zion collect loose change, primarily pennies and have donated “over 23.25 miles of pennies” to this worthy cause over the last several years. A mile of pennies equals $844.80. In total, Zion has contributed $19, 641.60 since 2007.
- Clothing drive – Anyone can obtain free, clean and usable second-hand clothing at any time.
- Lutheran Church in America World Hunger Advocacy – Our church has donated generously to the fund that is trying to end hunger in the world. For details please visit The ELCA.
- Operation Christmas Child – Shoe boxes have been prepared for distribution as gifts all around the world. Zion parishioners donated small toys and personal grooming needs for boys and girls which were placed in boxes and wrapped in Christmas paper. These will be distributed around the world. Millions of boxes have been distributed around the world, so this ministry has a significant impact.
- Collections and Special Projects – These are participated in each year to help support many local and International ministries and Mission projects. This year, we will support the ELCA Malaria Campaign, selling sheets suitable for coloring by the children for $1 on the first Sunday of the month.